Twitter has become the most widely used networking tool, which enables you to easily meet, message and network with likeminded individuals. Having said that, the main hassle with using a tool like twitter is the difficulty in organizing information, especially contact or follower names but this problem has been solved with the creation of twitter lists, which make it very easy to categorize all your information as per your requirement.
The best part of twitter lists is that it allows individuals to create the list as against other networking sites like Facebook where you have to join in a page or become a fan to create a list. The best use for such lists is that all twitter users can now get access to the public messages of twitter users under a specific category. Moreover, it allows individuals to categorize all their followers into separate categories for easy access.
Given the usefulness of twitter lists, it is important to understand that this is still in its infancy and has yet to grow, for which incidentally this concept has tremendous potential. The major drawback of this present system is that it allows only a finite number of lists, namely 20 and each list can have only a finite number of people, namely 500. This restricts the freedom of the user who now has to really prioritize the kind of category he or she really requires and also select only the most important people to form the group. Additionally, this feature has other problems, which if solved could make this an extremely useful feature for all twitter users.
All new introductions bring with them a huge scope for improvement and following are a few areas where twitter lists can definitely improve, in order to become a great asset for networking individuals and twitter users.
* Increasing the number of lists that one can create as well as increasing the number of people per list will help twitter users categorize their contacts better and with more ease.
* Simplified search tool, by which the user can actually search within a list or category is an absolute necessity as this simplifies the concept of searching through the myriad followers of an individual.
* Individual user should be given the freedom of choosing the lists he or she wants displayed on the side. * Additionally, a select set of lists pertaining to the interest of the individual user should also be displayed.
* Creating lists, under a specific category, automatically with the click of a button from the myriad people following or being followed by the user.
* Freedom to add people directly to a list and also to easily and directly send messages to people in a particular list.
* Last but not the least, the ability to combine lists, when required.
These few aspects, though simple, go a long way in making life simpler for a twitter user and should form a part of twitter lists in the future. This is very important because today a popularity of a person is measured by the number of lists he or she is a part of and hence the freedom to create more and better lists will ensure better networking and easier communication.